Thursday, February 9, 2012

Maybe a fashion timeline would help?

Lucia has a Valentine's Day school dance coming up, and Cristina is supposed to dress her in 70s clothes.

She told me "I have no idea what to dress her in! They told us to watch the movie Grease for ideas!"

I paused. The movie was made in the 70s, but it sure doesn't take place then. It takes place in the 50s.

I explained this to Cristina and she was like "I don't know what to dress her in, either way!"

So do they want 50s clothes then? Why would they say 70s? I told her disco.style clothes or Brady Bunch clothes were 70s style.

I want to attribute the school's confusion about this to the fact that Spain was a bit behind in this time period due to their isolation and Franco's rule. When people here watch Mad Men, they are like "PEOPLE HAD WASHING MACHINES IN THE SIXTIES?!" as if you were saying the ancient Egyptians used iPhones. For them, home appliances like washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators and freezers were definitely not household items until a couple decades later. Many homes didn't even have heat installed when they were built until the 80s.

I'd hate to have Lucia show up in a cashmere cardigan and poodle skirt while everyone else is wearing paisley and bell bottoms. But then again, I would have to ask those teachers, "What version of Grease were YOU watching!?"

No comments:

Post a Comment